There are a great number of potential benefits of outsourcing, such as cost and efficiency savings; staffing, financial and operational flexibility; and freedom to focus on core activities. But ultimately each business owner or manager must assess their own individual situation and decide if the benefits outweigh the risks of ceding control over some of their business processes. As with any business endeavor, these are challenges that require research, careful planning and an informed strategy. Here are some questions that may help in the decision-making process:
- How important are cost savings to the development of my business and my competitive position?
- Do I have the resources to realize my vision?
- Am I in a position to invest in additional infrastructure?
- Do I need to focus more on my core business?
- Do I or my team have the expertise to handle all of our business processes?
- Can I recruit the people I need locally?
- Can the tasks I will be outsourcing be performed remotely and managed locally?
- Do I have a training plan for my remote staff?
- Do I have the bandwidth to manage a remote staff?
- How will my current team adapt to the outsourcing process?
- Does my outsourcing partner understand my goals?
- Do I feel comfortable that my outsourcing partner has the necessary experience, expertise and commitment to make my outsourcing project a success?
- Do I have a benchmark reference and realistic goals for my outsourcing project?
- How does my outsourcing plan fit with my long term goals?
Creating an Outsourcing Plan